(703) 218-2125 (direct dial)
(703) 218-2160 (facsimile)
jonathan [dot] frieden [at] ofplaw [dot] com
Jonathan Frieden is a principal in Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C.'s Litigation practice group where he tries a variety of complex commercial disputes and criminal matters. His diverse civil practice encompasses intellectual property litigation, including trademark and copyright enforcement proceedings; the representation of management in employment discrimination claims; the defense of corporations against consumer claims; and a variety of commercial contract disputes.
Mr. Frieden also counsels e-commerce businesses in a variety of industries and recently led the team of attorneys representing one of these businesses in its acquisition by a publicly traded company. He is a frequent writer and speaker on e-commerce law issues.
Mr. Frieden has received national media coverage in recent cases in which his comments, on behalf of his clients, were carried on NBC, CBS, FOX and WTOP News. His arguments and post-trial comments have been quoted extensively in The Washington Post, The Washington Times, and other newspapers across the United States.
Mr. Frieden has twice been named among Virginia's "Legal Elite" according to Virginia Business magazine. His inclusion on this list means that he is among those lawyers recognized by his peers as the best in Virginia. In addition, Richmond Magazine has twice listed Mr. Frieden as one of Virginia's "Rising Stars". Rising Stars identifies the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in Virginia who are under 40 or have been in practice for less than ten years.
Admitted to Practice:
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Representative Reported Cases:
- Nemet Chevrolet, Ltd. v. Consumeraffairs.com, Inc., 564 F. Supp. 2d 544 (E.D. Va. 2008)
- Am. Tech Services, Inc. v. Universal Air Travel Plan, Inc., 2005 WL 2218437 (E.D. Va. 2005)
- Neurology Services, Inc. v. Fairfax Medical PWH, LLC, 67 Va. Cir. 1 (Fairfax Co. 2005)
- Sanni v. Koons Ford, Inc., 1999 WL 370402 (Fairfax Co. 1999)
- Jonathan D. Frieden & Sean P. Roche, E-Commerce: Legal Issues of the Online Retailer in Virginia, 13 Rich. J.L. & Tech., 2006
- Jonathan D. Frieden, Medicaid Eligibility Planning for Aged Clients in Virginia, 31 U. Rich. L. Rev. 1303, 1997
Representative Speaking Engagements:
- Practicing Law in the e-Court of Public Opinion: How the Internet Can Make or Break Your Reputation and What You Can Do About It, D.C. Bar, 2008
- Defending a Criminal Case in a Cyber World, Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys Association, 2008
- Legal Blogs and Other Technology, Law Firm Growth Management Conference, Harvard Club (New York City), 2007
- Legal Issues of the Online Retailer – Using Keyword Advertising in Internet Marketing, Lorman Education Services, 2005
- Taking and Defending Effective Depositions, Lorman Education Services, 2002 & 2005
- The Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act (UCITA), Marymount University, 2000